Thursday 15 July 2010

Horrockses Fashions

Last weekend I went to The Gallery Of Costume in Manchester. As usual, I found myself admiring the 50's style dresses - in particular the Horrockses dresses. I first came across Horrockses at The Harris Museum in Preston - they have a few dresses on display but I believe they have many in their collection (as Horrockses previously had a factory in Preston).  The Fashion And Textile Museum in London are currently exhibiting "Horrockses Fashions" and I can't wait to go and see the show.
Anyway, having been inspired by the dresses I saw in Manchester I bought this recently published book: Horrockses Fashions Off-The-Peg Style In The 40's and 50's. I love it! Click here for details of how to buy.



The book really inspired me. So, I decided I should have a look through our family photos to see if my Nan owned a Horrockses dress. I didn't find any Horrockses fashions but I did find some amazing shots of my Nan in very lovely oufits. Here are a few for you to see. Look at this gorgeous dress with such a pretty print:



Floppy collar and pockets. And amazing hair.



Polo shirt and shorts combo.



I love this picture. Knitted cardie with belt - perfect!

Look at her lovely shoes.



Girl talk.



Shoes again! 
They're fab.



Nice sleeves.



Love the detail:



Could it be Horrockses?



So, I didn't have much luck finding my Nans Horrockses dress. But surely this picture below is close enough. No idea who they all are except for the lady on the far right who is my Great Grandma. Absolutely love this photo! It was taken in Skegness as a Coronation Souvenir Photograph in 1953 so maybe I've found what I was looking for?

1 comment:

  1. What amazing photos! Can't see any likeness to you however! x

    ReplyDelete